Monday, July 30, 2012

Howard's youngest brother is visiting from Samoa.  The last time we saw him was at Howard's funeral that was 22 years ago.   I am excited to see him at a family Potluck tonight. 


To go with it I am making "Funeral Potatoes"  Or as we called them at BYU,  Potatoes Supreme. 

This is a really simple dish that can be made in a hurry.  We will have about 100 at the party tonight,  that is small for the Lua family,  so I will triple the recipe.

3 bags  shredded frozen hashbrowns
1 cup diced green onions
3 pts. sour cream
1 family size + 1 10 oz can of Cream soup.  I am using Mushroom soup but Cream of Chicken or Cream of Celery are just  as good
1 # of cheddar cheese grated.  I use medium but Sharp is good too.

1. Put thawed   potatoes in a baking pan  (large foil roasting pan)
2. Mix soup, sour cream, onions and cheese together in a bowl.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  I find there is enough salt in the soup but do add pepper.  It is up to you.
3.  Pour soup mix over potatoes and mix well.
You can reserve some of the cheese and sprinkle over the top or can top with any variety of crunchy toppings at this point.   I have had it with Ritz crumbs,  Cornflakes,  Panko, buttered breadcrumbs, potato chips or saltines.

 You bake the casserole at 350 until hot and bubbly all the way through.  about 30 minutes for a 9x13 pan and a little longer for the size pan I am making

The foods you will probably see at a Hawaiian pot luck are:
 Definitely Sticky Rice  (known in our family as the only true rice)
Teriyaki Chicken                                                    Haupia Cake
Potato Salad and/or Macaroni Salad                      Tutu Cake
Green Salad                                                            Chantilly Cake
Kalua style Pork                                                     Guava or Banana Cake
Fried Chicken                                                         Cookies or Brownies
Teriyaki burgers                                                     Coco Puffs
Samoan Chop Suey
 Some type of Stir Fry
Ham
Chicken Katsu
Fried Won ton

One thing is certain.  Everything will be delicious because all of us can cook.

I will let you know what turns up tomorrow.  I am excited to meet my Samoan Sister in law for the first time.  They have been married for around 25 years but we were never in the same place at the same time before.

Well the party was great and it was so nice to see everyone and meet my niece and 2 nephews for the first time.     I left for Texas right after the party to meet my newest granddaughter and since then have been so busy  I didn't get anything written.   This week my daughter gave birth to twin boys and so our family grows.   Today I will begin my journey in the blog world for real with the beginning of  my Recipe Blog.

 Before I do that I have to pass on the recipe for Lorenzo's Chicken.  We made it in Texas and my granddaughter Masha could not get enough of it.

5# boneless skinless Chicken Thighs
1 cup aloha soy sauce
1 cup sugar
1T ginger.   (we bought crushed ginger in a tube and it was so easy)
1/4 cup sliced green onions

Marinate Chicken overnight then cook on a BBQ grill.  It is really Yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment