Saturday, September 15, 2012

Today I am making our favorite crockpot version of a Chile Verde.   About 15 years ago I discovered a product called Herdez Chile Verde Sauce.   I bought some and they sat in my pantry for a long time.  One day I needed to use up some meat in that I had and I pulled them out and our favorite dish was born.   I make it with chicken,  or beef, or pork and it is great with all of them.  So let me Share.  

Today I made Pork.  There are 8 living in my home and being polynesian they are hearty eaters.  I used about 5# of meat so we would have a bit for planned overs.   It would probably feed 12 normal eaters.

 Here are the ingredients.

5# of boneless pork roast or 7# of bone in pork roast
1 medium onion  chopped
2 cans Herdez Chile Verde
1 can diced green Chiles
1 can petite diced tomatoes
1 Tablespoon garlic Powder
1 Tsp salt
1/2 tsp black Pepper
1 tsp Adobo Seasoning.
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup water.


 Method


                      I do not claim to be a great chef but am a good home cook.  When I chop the onion the pieces are not all the same size but you get the idea and it seems to work for me.  I then put them in the bottom of a 5 qt.  Slow Cooker.

                    Trim any extra fat from the pork and cut it into chunks.   Add to the Slow Cooker

                 I used bone in pork sirloin roasts and I kept the bones with what Meat is still attached.     add the salt, garlic, adobo, pepper and stir it into the meat and onions.  Place the bones on top of the meat.  (This is mild because my grandchildren prefer it like this.  To make it spicier use diced tomato with Chipotle Chile and an additional can of green chiles)

                Pour the tomatoes, Salsa Verde and green chiles over the meat.  Cover and cook on Low for about 10 hours.

                After it is cooked this is what it will look like.   Remove meat from the bones and discard
  the bones.  Using a wooden spoon break up the meat.   Turn slow cooker to high.

              stir 1/2 cup of flour into an equal amount of water.   stir into meat and let cook for about 1/2 hour.   If you want it thicker then add more flour.   Shred 1# cheddar cheese while it cooks.  I like Sharp.


 
           This is the way we like it best.  On a flour tortilla with sour cream and salsa.   The smaller kids prefer it on top of Sticky rice with the cheese and no salsa or cream...However you serve it it is delicious.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment