Monday, July 2, 2012

Introduction


I have long wanted to start a blog both for me and my mo'opuna.(grandchildren)  I was born in Nebraska but married a wonderful Hawaiian who converted my heart to the culture of Hawaii.

Though I was educated to be a teacher I soon discovered that profession was not for me and eventually found my calling in the kitchens of  universities.   There I worked for 30 years doing thing from cooking to managing.  I retired recently from a career that was fun and satisfying.   Because of this love affair with food I hope to pass on some of my expertise to the first love of my life FAMILY.

I am the mother of 4 children and 8 hanai children. (unofficially adopted children of my Heart) I will have 17 grandchildren soon we are anxiously awaiting the birth of twin boys.  Steeler and Stryker.  ( as you can see my daughter and husband are big sports fans).  My h
anai children have provided me with 36 grandchildren and so far 14 great grandchildren.   This my sound like a lot but my Mother-in-Law has over 300 descendants so far from her 14 children.

In 1971 I made the best decision of my life.   I left my home in Arizona and married Howard Keawe Lua.  I was the only daughter among the 3 children of  a warehouse worker/truck driver from Phoenix.  Howard was the third of 14 children of a firefighter and a cook\waitress from Laie, Hawaii.  We met at a wedding in Arizona.   When I saw him walk out of the Mesa Arizona Temple of the Church of Latter Day Saints I was hooked.  With his regal bearing and beautiful smile I knew hat this was  going to be my husband.   Just over a year later we were married in the Laie Hawaii Temple.  Sadly, my husband, sweetheart and best friend passed away at the young age of 48.  However my love and loyalty to him has never waivered.


 
  Howard and Toni in 1972 with eldest son Jeremey. 


Well this is the important part of my story.  From now on I will post mostly recipes  that have worked even though some of my picky family members have not eaten much of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment