Friday, July 6, 2012

We had a great 4th of July.  We celebrated Phoenix's 6th birthday and had a BBQ.  Son in Law Renzo made his special chicken.  He won't share the recipe but I think I could replicate it.   He uses boneless chicken thighs and  marinates it in Soy Sauce (Aloha brand the only true soy sauce) sugar, ginger, green onions.   This time he added about 1/2 cup of honey to it.   It was really delicious.   We also had watermelon,  Malia's potato salad with crab - she made a small bowl for me because I don't eat crab.  I added onion and relish to mine,  rice, li hing mui cantaloupe,  and birthday cake with neapolitan Ice cream.  (the kids call it Napolean).   I would have added some sort of vegetable to it but this was their party.

My hanai son Metua Ngarupe and his family are in the process of moving here and they came over for and ate with us.  the younger ones swam in our above ground pool.   I got to see and hold Metua's month old granddaughter, Jane for the first time.  She is of course adorable.   He lost his wife to cancer a year ago and it has been difficult for him and the 4 boys.  The youngest is only 15.  I hope things work out for them to live here.  I think it would be good to get Will out of the California schools and into one that is safe.   Metua's cousin Mary helped him drive over.  I had met her at a few parties in the past but never really had time to talk as their were large groups around.   I know she has been a great help to him.  Family is so important.  Nobody really cares or helps like they do.

The kids did fireworks  outside after dark and Phoenix was beside himself with joy.  Of course he is too young to do anything but pop pops or sparklers but he does love watching his dad and older brother set them off.  

They were extra careful this year because it has been so dry.  have had up to 9 fires going on around  the state and 6 are still a threat.   Many homes have been lost this summer.  I think more than in past years.   We finally got some rain last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment